link to Home Page

Re: Planet X VIEWING, Restated (OT)

"Bill Nelson" wrote:
> Ian wrote:
>
>>> It would be a waste of time, without sunlight. If there were two or
>>> three volcanos active at one time, there would be a drastic lowering
>>> in the temperatures worldwide.
>
>> I know this has been the scenario of "Atomic Winter", but I don't buy
>> that. Clouds do let through some of the heat from the sunshine, while
>> keeping the lid on for radiation out from the ground. In the Northern
>> regions, the lowest temperatures are always when there's high pressure
>> and clear skies.
>
> It isn't a matter of "some". A dust cloud reflects more sunlight energy
> than it traps radiated energy from the ground. When Pinitubo (?) erupted
> a few years ago - there was a measurable decrease in worldwide
> temperatures.

I can't remember any significant temperature decrease from Pinatubo. I've
never argued that there will be no lowering, but it will not be "drastic
lowering". However, living downwind from an active volcano will of course
mean lousy weather conditions and probably a quick exit. One example is that
Moses' "40 years in the desert" and "valley of death" are speculated to be
the results of a major blow-out and devastation of the island Santorino
(Thera) ~2000 BC.

The biggest effect of Pinatubo was probably the increased maintenance cost
for the airlines due to the increased wear on the windows.

> The reason the temperatures are lower when the skies are clear and in
> a high pressure area is that high pressure areas are cold air.

Nope - it's the other way around.
During summer, high pressure areas give higher temperatures because more of
the radiation hits the ground. During winter, more heat from the ground is
radiated out, especially at night, giving greater differences between day &
night temperatures. Low pressure with clouds gives higher night time
temperatures and lower day time temperatures. Last year, in a large,
northern area, it was overcast and rained for >90 consecutive days. While
people got depressed, the temperature stayed at a non-freezing discomfort
level, higher than average for that time of year in the region.

Another phenomena is when pockets of polar air descend down on the Northern
regions, triggering cold time periods. As the jet streams are currently
weakened, you may expect to see more of this, like today's blizzards as far
south as Turkey and Italy. These are however quickies that never last long.

> It has nothing to do with stratospheric dust clouds, as these pressure
> cells are below that level.

What says these clouds will stay in the stratosphere? If the reason for the
cloud cover is a Pole Shift due to Planet X passing, then parts of the
atmosphere will be ripped away, and the dust cover & clouds be much closer
to the ground.

>>> And you wouldn't be able to count on generated electricity either.
>
>> Moderate amounts would be simple with any Whisper or equivalent wind
>> mill. The largest challenge would be the batteries.
>
> Moderate amounts will not provide the watts needed to raise food. Check
> on the requirements for yourself. The information is available in various
> texts on alternative energy.

I would never plan on heating or cooking from a Whisper and a 12 or 24 Volt
DC system. Both heating & cooking can be done with wood stoves. You can
check Lehman's non-Electrical appliances at http://www.lehmans.com/ for a
great selection.

Or wasn't this what you were thinking of? If you think about growing food in
greenhouses, running a modern farm etc. I agree, but a post-Pole Shift
scenario would require more old-fashioned methods for growing food. I would
probably not go for livestock at all.

I would use the DC systems for my PCs, Ham radios, interior lights, water
pumps, water purification etc. However, living off such a small system will
require careful up-front planning.
Home Power Magazine at http://www.homepower.com/ is a good start.

>> There are also work going on internationally with larger farm size mills
>> for running a local AC grid, but those are yet too costly & large to be
>> practical for most people.
>
> And would not produce enough energy to provide much food.

I would argue that a 30 kW system will provide everything you need, given
that you have decent wind conditions, a good placement of the windmill and
plan your energy consumption. The challenge is more the electronics needed
for off-grid (i.e. local grid) operation, where there is currently serious
work going on.

I think the greatest challenge currently would be the cost, as you would
have to import such windmills (not represented in the US yet), and they
would probably start at 30K for an 11 kW or 60K for a 30 kW.

Ian